Report a maintenance issue   Report an issue


You're bound to have plenty of questions when it comes to renting your own property - we realise this is something most people are doing for the first time.

This list of Frequently Asked Questions should cover most of the queries that are likely to come to mind. If there is something we haven't covered, please email us at

Why do I need to create an account?

When you sign up with Griffin Lettings you will be granted full access to our secure online portal. Once you are signed up and you have listed your first property with us, you will be able to manage your information and access messaging facilities that allow direct communication between you and any prospective tenants.

How long does it take to upload my property?

Our state-of-the-art lettings submission system means your property will be uploaded in 20 minutes or less once you have submitted it. Once your property has been uploaded through our secure portal, we will check everything thoroughly before making the listing available online.

Will my property description be checked by lettings professionals?

Yes, a member of our team with check every detail of your listing thoroughly to ensure it is free of any spelling mistakes and grammatically correct. We will let you know if there are any details that could be improved to make it more appealing to potential tenants.

Nobody knows your property like you do, but if you need a little inspiration when writing your property description, head to Rightmove or Zoopla where you can search for similar properties and descriptions.

Do I need a gas safety certificate?

Yes. In fact it is a legal requirement! A gas safety certificate must be renewed yearly and a copy must be given to the tenant on the day they move into your property.

We offer a full gas certificate service for landlords. You can add this as an optional extra when submitting your property. Click here to get started.

Do I need a Legionnaires assessment?

Landlords have a legal duty to ensure their property is not at risk of exposure to legionella bacteria. However, the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) does not require landlords to obtain or produce a Legionnaires testing certificate.

Do I need a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector?

Yes. You must provide a carbon monoxide detector if there is a gas boiler installed at your property. You must also install smoke alarms on each floor and arrange for them to be checked regularly.

Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

Yes. You need to obtain a valid EPC and ensure the tenant receives a copy of it. They will need to sign a declaration confirming they have received a copy.

We offer a full EPC certificate service for landlords. You can add this as an optional extra when submitting your property. Click here to get started.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

An Energy Performance Certificate, or EPC, is a document that shows how environmentally friendly your property is and also gives suggestions on how to improve energy efficiency and insulation. An EPC is valid for 10 years from the date of issue, or until you make energy related improvements such as fitting new windows, replacing the boiler or fitting insulation.

Where will you list my property?

We advertise your property on both of the latest property rental and sales sites - Rightmove and Zoopla - and ensure your listing is as attractive to potential tenants as possible.

Can I list my property through other agents too?

Of course. Our online agreement is not exclusive to us. This means you can choose to list your property in as many places as you like.

Can you carry out property viewings on my behalf?

No, unfortunately this is not a service we provide as we are an online agent. As the landlord of the property, you know and understand the main selling points and are best qualified to show potential tenants around.

If I accept an application, is my property automatically taken offline?

Once you accept a tenant’s application, a "Let By" sign will appear by your property until you mark your property as being let to a tenant.

Can you help me with credit checks and references?

Absolutely! We want to save you as much time as possible, and we can work on your behalf to ensure the suitability of potential tenants. We always aim to complete these checks within 5 days, but this can be dependent on the tenant’s referees getting back to us. This service is not available for properties based in Scotland due to different processes being in place.

How do I apply for a property?

When you find a property you like, simply select ‘Apply for References’ on the details page of the property.

What information do I need to provide as a landlord?

You will need to show us photographic ID such as a driver's licence or passport, and also proof of address of the property.

What information do I need to provide as a tenant?

As a tenant we will need you to provide photographic ID such as a driver’s licence or passport, bank statements for the last 3 months and a utility bill showing proof of your current address.

As a tenant, what do I have to pay?

Once your application has been accepted by your landlord, you will need to pay one month’s rent in advance and a security deposit. These sums will need to be paid on the same day that you sign the agreement.

Is my deposit protected?

We can arrange for your deposit to be protected by The Deposit Protection Service (DPS). We will assign you your own login details for future use.

Right to Rent

As of 1st February 2015, landlords must determine a new tenant's immigration status before the start of a tenancy. ID checks should be carried out on all tenants aged 18 and over by checking their passport and other documentation. Any British Citizen or holder of an EEA passport, has the right to rent in the UK. For more information on how to follow the procedures, please click here to find out more.

Add-ons price list

Our full price list for all our optional extras are as follows:

  • Unlimited Photos: £35
  • Professional Photography: £80
  • Gas Certificate: £75
  • EPC Certificate: £75
  • Tenancy Agreement: £25
  • Tenant Referencing: £25 per tenant
  • Premium Rightmove listing: £60
  • Premium Zoopla listing: £60
  • Inventory - Prices start from £80
  • Check-in Reports - Prices start from £65
  • Check-out Reports - Prices start from £70
  • Register and protect deposit - £35